by Brandon Moore, Community Theatre and Communications Manager
|Other Side of the Game at Cahoots Theatre and Obsidian Theatre|
Photo by Dahlia Katz
- Playwright Amanda Parris describes her experience capturing “Toronto’s soundscape” and finding the authentic voices of her young Black residents of the west-end for Other Side of the Game from Cahoots Theatre and Obsidian Theatre. (Artist Perspective from Intermission).
- Kevin Wong and Stephanie Graham from The Musical Stage Company shared their experience attending the National Alliance for Musical Theatre 29th Annual Festival of New Musicals—which included a performance of Prom Queen (which started at the Canadian Musical Theatre Project at Sheridan.)
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- 2018 Summer Season announcements from Ontario Summer Theatre members 4th Line Theatre (Millbrook) and Port Stanley Festival Theatre.
- Sudbury Theatre Centre receives $200,000 in emergency funding from the City.
- Are you ready for Bill 148? The highlight of the “Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act” is the increase to minimum wage, but the Ontario Nonprofit Network points out five things that theatres and other non-profits need to consider about the impact of this Act on their activities.
- ... to the winners of the 2017 Prix Rideau Awards for Ottawa professional theatre, including Odyssey Theatre who won Outstanding Production (Anglophone) for The Servant of Two Masters.
- ... to the winners of the 2017 Tom Hendry Awards, including Kate Hennig, winner of the Carol Bolt Award for Best Work premiered in the past year, for The Virgin Trial.
- ... to Hiro Kanagawa and Playwrights Canada Press, winner of the Governor General’s Literary Award for English-language Drama for Indian Arm.
In Case You Missed It
- Save the Date – Our final fundraising campaign of 2017 kicks off on Tuesday, November 28th as part of Giving Tuesday.
- ONstage Openings this week in Georgetown, London, Elmira, Toronto, Barrie, Cookstown, Peterborough, Ottawa, and Constance Bay.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board, including workshops, webinars, grant deadlines, residency opportunities, and more.