Tuesday 30 August 2016

Stories from the Summer Theatre Intensive: “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Acting…and then some!” with Tom Diamond

by Anne Evanoff (Dundas, Ontario)

I was active in the Drama Club during my high school years in Timmins, Ontario and was passionate about acting—especially dramatic plays. For a long time, I lived out my desire to act through storytelling and hooking kids on 'great stories' that they could identify with and relate to in some personal way.

Recently, I retired from a long career in education that took me to many exotic places in the world and expanded my experience of the many different ways to be in the world. Retired and living in Florida for a few winter months, I found Actors' Studio and Improv Groups that whetted my appetite and by accident, I found myself playing the role of Blaze in The Fat Man Sacrifice directed by Dr. Peter Irwin. Needless to say, I was hooked once again.
 
Since returning home, I have been looking for resources and workshops in Ontario to hone my skills and grow my craft. I find it to be an exciting way to continue the learning and the growing. Enter Theatre Ontario!

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About
Acting... and then some! with Tom Diamond
It was a privilege for me to spend a whole week at Trent University in Peterborough learning from a master like Tom Diamond. Through improv exercises and team-building activities, he created a safe environment where I could step out of my comfort zone and hone my craft/toolbox as an actor. I valued his feedback and his ability to hone in on the areas that needed work. We also did partnered scene work where I was totally impressed and amazed by his ability to identify how to move us to an authentic place to fulfill a role. It is still difficult for me to grasp the depth to which he led us—a truly gifted director, a rare find and I am grateful to have spent the time with him at Trent!

Tom also helped to create "team spirit" in the group, where we could work in a way that was fun and playful! I feel like I now have another family in the acting community. This intensive far exceeded my expectations and I am thankful for the experience. Wow! Keep up the great work, Theatre Ontario!

No comments:

Post a Comment