Tuesday 7 June 2016

Stories from the Professional Theatre Training Program: Krista Colosimo

Our Professional Theatre Training Program (PTTP) offers financial support for unique and flexible training with a chosen mentor in any theatrical discipline (except performance.)

Krista Colosimo is training in artistic direction with Ashlie Corcoran at Thousand Islands Playhouse.

(April 13 2016) In a few weeks I will begin my internship at the Thousand Islands Playhouse, working with and learning from my mentor and the company's Artistic Director, Ashlie Corcoran. I have been counting down the days, slashing my calendar with giant Xs leading up to my departure for Gananoque. Needless to say the anticipation and excitement I feel is very palpable.

I first met Ashlie while working at the Shaw Festival where she was then an Assistant Director and I was an actor. After collaborating with her on a few projects at the Shaw I knew it would not be long before this very talented and driven director would be at the forefront of Canadian theatre. Since that time I have worked at the Thousand Islands Playhouse as an actor and assistant director, where I have witnessed Ashlie in action both as a Director and Artistic Director.

In so many ways I have been inspired by Ashlie. With her support, as well as that of Theatre Ontario, I will now embark on the next step of my career, broadening my professional skill set so that I may endeavour to become a new leader in the arts. This spring and summer I will spend a total of six weeks at the Thousand Islands Playhouse where I will receive hands-on experience working with Ashlie and Rob Kempson (the Associate Artistic Director) as they plan their upcoming 2017 season. Reading plays, creating budgets, contracting artists, marketing, and insight on what it takes to run a theatre company are just a few of the things I hope to learn about in my time at the Playhouse.

I have already been in correspondence with Ashlie and Rob as they prep me for the coming weeks and the early stages of programming for 2017. I am so looking forward to this time of development and learning. More updates to follow in the months ahead...

The next application deadline for the Professional Theatre Training Program is October 3, 2016.


Theatre Ontario’s Professional Theatre Training Program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.

No comments:

Post a Comment