- Playwrights Guild of Canada is hosting their “Aspire Together: Through Voice, Place and Play” from June 1 to 4 to Hamilton. Theatre Ontario is excited to be partnering with PGC on a panel “Growing Together through Community Theatre” moderated by our Rachel Kennedy, featuring panelists Norm Foster, Dennis Johnson, and Rhiannon Collett.
- From the Ontario Summer Theatre Blog—check out “the Orillia Opera House Summer Theatre experience”and “Discovering Humour with Heart in the Heart of Niagara at the Foster Festival."
- Jamie Robinson writes in Intermission about diversity and appropriation in theatre.
- In anticipation of The Musical Stage Company’s 2nd Annual Tony Viewing Party, and the multiple nominations for Come from Away, they explore some history of Canadian musicals on Broadway stages.
Behind the Scenes at Ontario’s Theatres
- Ontario’s Fringe Theatre season kicks off on Tuesday, with the London Fringe Theatre Festival.
- ... to the Toronto Arts Foundation award recipients: Jacoba Knaapen, Executive Director of the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts, who received the Margo Bindhardt and Rita Davies Award for Cultural Leadership; and the AMY Project, who received the Arts for Youth Award.
- ... to the recipients of the Toronto Theatre Critics Awards for 2017.
In Case You Missed It
- Theatre Ontario Festival is a symposium for passionate, dedicated community theatre practitioners—catch up on all the educational highlights from this year’s Festival in Ottawa.
- Browsing Our Bulletin Board featuring opportunities across the province including a workshop on staging intimacy, our Summer Theatre Intensive, and workshops on scene study, musical theatre for youth, and using data to find venue renter audiences.
- ONstage Openings this week in Cobourg, Gananoque, Port Stanley, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Port Dover, Tillsonburg, Woodstock, Guelph, Hamilton, Hillsburgh, and Toronto.